david miller troyer

How Babies are Made

04 December 2006

Artist's Statement

Having spent significant time in the United States, Canada, and Germany since my High School education, I love to explore. Beyond traveling, I love to explore how connected we are to our immediate and global communities. I am constantly nagged with the question of how our seemingly inconsequential actions in fact affect the rest our world.

More recently, my sister had a baby boy, and while taking images of him my mind began to take off with how I might present a human’s birth and early weeks in such a project. The human birthing and development processes are highly commercialized in our culture. We lead lives with a tremendous economic and environmental impact. Countries such as China have gone to the extreme to limit these impacts. What is our responsibility in a free-society to minimize such impacts? The first step in doing so is recognition of possible forces.

As a photographer, my style lends itself well to such a commentary. I am highly selective in what I present the viewer. I tend to select a tight crop and shallow depth of field, with an acute attention to background and how these shapes and colors will influence my focus and intent of the image. Between these attributes of my style and the addition of text, I hope to bring awareness to issues the viewer of a beautiful baby would not typically think of.

2 Comments:

At 12/04/2006 2:11 PM, Blogger jmstyer said...

This is an interesting idea, and I think you can pull it off well. Just make sure that you keep focusing on portraying babies in a way that we aren't used to seeing.

 
At 12/04/2006 2:25 PM, Blogger heather said...

very interesting idea david. i think the images are strong on their own but will gain a completely new dimension when combined with the text you're thinking of using

 

Post a Comment

<< Home